We will do everything we can to give you the best possible experience with your procedure. Following are instructions we have put together to enable you to optimally prepare for your appointment.
- If you take blood thinners, have mitral valve prolapse, a heart condition, diabetes or have had heart valve replacement or joint replacement surgery, please contact us prior to your appointment for special instructions.
- Your mouth and teeth should be well cleaned immediately before your appointment
- A parent or guardian must accompany all minors, including college students.
Instructions to Follow Prior to IV Sedation/General Anesthesia
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including coffee or water) for 6 hours prior to the appointment.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow.
- The patient should wear shoes that stay on. No high boots, no sandals or flip flops.
- Contact lenses, jewelry and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with our office prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- If you have long hair, tie it back before surgery.
- Do not engage in strenuous exercise the day of surgery.